Joseph Jacks, the Founder and General Partner of OSS Capital joined the show to share his plans for funding the future generation of commercial open source software based companies. This is a growing landscape of $100M revenue companies ~13 years in the making that’s just now getting serious early attention and institutional backing — and we talk through many of those details with Joseph.
We cover the whys and hows, why OSS now, deep details around licensing implications, and we speculate the types of open source software that makes sense for the types of investing Joseph and other plan to do.
- Joseph Jacks – Twitter, GitHub
- Adam Stacoviak – Twitter, GitHub, Website
- Jerod Santo – Twitter, GitHub, Website
Notes and Links
- The Changelog #310 — Open sourcing the DEV community
with Ben Halpern
- Request for Commits #9 — Open source and licensing with Heather Meeker
- OSS Capital
- The $100M revenue commercial open source software company index
- Commons Clause License
- Open Core – Definition, examples, and tradeoffs
- GNU AGPL (Affero General Public License)
- Mozilla Public License